Originally built as a livery in the late 1800’s, by 2015 it was being used as a small professional office. Over the years the original building components had been covered and modified many times. Many original elements had been removed or neglected over the years.
In 2015 HA+D designed a complete renovation of the structure for a new, small art gallery. The design attempted to incorporate a flow that allowed for ease of circulation while affording maximum flexibility for artwork display. The design removed nearly all the past improvements to expose portions of the original structure, creating a large open space. Where some original components could be highlighted, the original floor was replaced with a new stained concrete slab. To maximize the sense of space mechanical and electrical systems were exposed. We avoid covering mechanical and structural elements to maximize the sense of space.